The 215+ Pledge is a call to action to come together to #DoSomething to make sure no child who died at residential school is forgotten and that the experiences of all of those who attended residential school are honoured.
How will you #DoSomething?
Below are just some ways to take action. There are countless more.
Support a recovery effort in your region.
Make sure you do your research before you engage. Here are some questions you might want to consider:
- Does the community conducting the search have a donation request or a Go Fund Me?
- Are there news stories online with calls to action for people outside the community who want to help?
- Are there municipal by-laws impeding a search in your area? Contact local politicians to help advocate for change.
- Is there a ground search in your area at a site not recognized as a federal residential school? Find out how you can help advocate for that site to be recognized.
Educate yourself and others about the true history of residential schools, colonization, and the unique rights and interests of Indigenous Peoples.
- Check out the resources available free at downiewenjack.ca.
- Watch past National Day for Truth and Reconciliation Panel Discussions to learn from community members (below).